Back in June of 2017 I posted an article describing how to retrieve quotes from the Yahoo Finance page.
The other day I received a message from a user who found that the program no longer worked. After looking into the issue I found that Yahoo responds differently depending on the User-Agent setting being presented to the server. The quick fix was to change the value submitted.Continue reading →
While releasing a new version of Book Squire the other day I realized that Book Squire is ten years old. What first started as a quickly developed application to solve a personal need has grown into one of my longest running applications.
Back in 2009 I was frustrated with the online access to our Library. It was tedious to enter the card number and pin then navigate to the page to see the status of my account. In addition, I was checking on accounts for family members and with four Library cards in hand was finding my patience tested.
I figured why couldn't a program do this. Maybe, do it everyday and at some point send me a note if there was something important to know about.
That was the plan which resulted in Book Squire.Continue reading →
Recently I was building a small library to extract information from image files. While doing so I thought a simple site to extract GPS information from images would be useful to build as well as to describe how it was created using Clojure.
The source code for this project is available on GitHub at https://github.com/bradlucas/imagelocation while a running example is available at http://imagelocation.beaconhill.com/. If you don't have a photo handy and would quickly like to see what the site returns see the About page http://imagelocation.beaconhill.com/about.
I'll assume that you the reader have some experience with Clojure and have build something in the language. With that in mind I'll just go through the steps I went through to build up the application.Continue reading →
While setting up Mailgun with a domain who's DNS records are setup inside AWS's Route 53, I received the following error:
CharacterStringTooLong (Value is too long) encountered with '"k=rsa; ...more..."'
This was in response to creating a TXT record (DKIM) which hs a very long value. 400 characters in fact.
The reason is that the TXT record is limited to 255 characters but you can have multiple strings in the record.Continue reading →
Recently I've been working with The Trade Desk API whose documentation is hosted on a password protected web site. The site requires a username and password to access. These you get from your TTD representative.
Now, the site is fine but very dense. In a few cases I wanted to search the entire site and having a copy of the site locally would make this possible.
How to download the site is described in this post.